Simplicity

"There is a certain majesty in simplicity which is far above all the quaintness of wit". Alexander Pope

RITA READE "MAMMABELLARTE"

HOST OF THE VINTAGE MARKETPLACE AT THE OAKS IN RAINBOW, CALIFORNIA
WOODWORKER AND SOLDERING TEACHER.

Aug 7, 2015

CROWN TUTORIAL

I Love making crowns....and I made this crown September 2014 for the Fall event
 "The Vintage Marketplace at the Oaks"
I do spend a lot of time at Home Depot or Lowes. Hours.....
The employees always ask me if I need any help. I usually answer...."you don't want to know". 
Half of the time I don't even know why I am there. :) 
I love the Vent/Pipe thingy isle. And that's where I found this vent pipe adapter at Lowe's. 
 Don't ask the employees, just look for it. 
Before leaving Lowes make sure to purchase a gallon of muriatic acid,you will need it. 

If you are not familiar with muriatic acid please
READ HERE

Step 1: if the steel crown has a sticker, take it off. 

Step: 2 lay the crown inside a deep plastic bucket, fill the bucket with enough muriatic acid to cover the crown (goggles and gloves are a must! ), let the crown stand in the acid for 24 hours. 
Step 3 remove the crown from the acid using a painter stick, rinse the crown (always wear plastic gloves) and let it dry out, and it will turn into rust like magic. To dispose of the muriatic acid please neutralize it first by adding baking soda. 
please read this to be safe! (same link as above)

Step 4 Have fun gluing (E-6000) lace and rhinestones. 

Ciao for now

Rita

2 comments:

  1. I just found your lovely blog and you are a genius! The crowns are amazing. Stop by and chat. Have a lovely day. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about Home Depot & Lowes! Don't talk to the employees, it will just confuse them...Your crown is simply elegant. Thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete

"Sweet" it is to hear from you....