Simplicity

"There is a certain majesty in simplicity which is far above all the quaintness of wit". Alexander Pope

RITA READE "MAMMABELLARTE"

HOST OF THE VINTAGE MARKETPLACE AT THE OAKS IN RAINBOW, CALIFORNIA
WOODWORKER AND SOLDERING TEACHER.

Jan 5, 2011

Olives

"La stagione delle Olive"
" Olive Season"

well the season should be November but with this crazy weather there is no specific season to pick olives. When they are mature that's when we pick them.

part one


It's bitter - sweet the olive before brining and also the memories. My Papa' showed me how to make home made olives first time he came to visit us in the States. This is going to be my first time making it by myself with Alan and Raffaele. And years from now they will probably have the same memories that I had with my Papa'.

We are making black olives. Make sure the olives that you pick are not bruised.


Alan is picking




Rinse and pull any stems

Drain

Raffaele and I poked the olives with a toothpick. It's very important to do that. Olives are so bitter.....
it would be a good idea if you have gloves around. The olives stain your hands!

In a large bowl combine 10 parts water with one part of salt and add the olives. Mix well and keep the olives in a dark room. Change the water every day for 4 weeks don't forget to add the salt. And I will see you in 4 weeks.

Ciao for now
Rita

2 comments:

  1. This is great Rita! I was wondering when to pick and how to start curing them. A neighbor has some I might sneak over and pick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so fun, can't wait for your finished product!

    ReplyDelete

"Sweet" it is to hear from you....