Simplicity

"There is a certain majesty in simplicity which is far above all the quaintness of wit". Alexander Pope

RITA READE "MAMMABELLARTE"

HOST OF THE VINTAGE MARKETPLACE AT THE OAKS IN RAINBOW, CALIFORNIA
WOODWORKER AND SOLDERING TEACHER.

Aug 23, 2015

TABLE TOP TUTORIAL for props/styling

I made a couple of table tops for myself and for few photographers. They are perfect for props/styling and easy to transport. I have a white one that I use all the time to photograph my jewelry on and wanted to make a more tattered looking one. 

SO....
HERE IS AN EASY WAY TO MAKE A TABLE TOP LOOK VINTAGE/TATTERED/DISTRESSED/CHIPPY....WHICHEVER WAY YOU WANT TO CALL IT.


I built the table top using a piece of plywood for the base and I randomly cut left over pieces of pine with my compound miter saw. 
Then I  glued and nail the pieces together. The easiest way to nail each piece is with an air compressor nail gun. 



 Always measure twice cut once! Right? I should know by now after all these years...but I didn't and I cut the wood strips a little bit too small. So I had to create a skirt around the table.
 It actually looks much better this way.
Use wood patty to hide the nails, sand and wipe clean.


Now for the distressing technique...

Step 1 Paint the table using an acrylic flat brownish color

Step 2 Choose your favorite color for the second layer. 
There will be a total of 3 layer of paint. 
I picked green


 Step 3 Rub a candle here and there on the table top, the wax acts as a barrier between paint colors. 


and since I was also going for the crackle look I wiped school glue here and there also.
No need to wait for the glue to dry, 
step 3 paint your top layer....I used eggshell linen white from Behr.



 Check out this little video, you can see how easy the top layer comes off where I rubbed the candle.
Use an electric sander with a fine sandpaper


I get so excited when I start seeing the top layer come off! 

Step 4 Brush a coat of Provencial Minwax and wipe off the excess.
Let it dry.

Great prop/styling table top!  
Wishing you a wonderful week!!

Ciao Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Sweet" it is to hear from you....